Paris, July 2012 – Efus (European Forum for Urban Security) is conducting a series of missions in Central American countries -Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, and El Salvador- from 3 to 17 July 2012, as part of the EUROsociAL cooperation programme between Europe and Latin America. The aim of these missions is to monitor the drafting and implementation of EUROsociAL II action programmes in the field of citizen security.
EUROsociAL was launched in 2005 by Europeaid, the international cooperation agency of the European Commission. During the first phase, from 2005 to 2010, activities were focused in five themed areas: education, employment, taxation, justice, and health. The European Commission contributed €31 million to the programme.
The objective of the second phase of the EUROsociAL programme (2011 – 2013) is to support public policies aiming at improving social cohesion and strengthening the institutions that carry out those policies. The overall aim of the programme is consistent with one of two priorities of the cooperation between the European Union and Latin America for 2011-2013: regional integration, and social and territorial cohesion. The total cost of the programme (€40 million) is financed by the European Commission.
As in the previous phase, the programme promotes cooperation between the public administrations of the Member States of the European Union and of 18 countries in Latin America.
Its activities will cover the following themes:
- Universal access to quality social services,
- social protection and promotion of active employment policies,
- tax systems and public finances to facilitate redistribution and efficiency,
- democratic institutionalism, and social dialogue and decentralisation,
- public safety, rights and access to justice.
The strategy put in place to launch the activities of the citizen security network, which has been approved by the European Commission, includes an in-depth study phase and the organisation of on-site missions in each of the participating countries. The objectives of this phase are:
– To analyse all the public initiatives implemented in the participating countries in the field of the prevention of violence and of youth violence, and in particular the coordination among the various institutions and actors involved in prevention;
– to carry out in-depth finding missions in each of the participating countries so as to define and debate on how EUROsociAL II can support and strengthen local public initiatives in the field of citizen security.
Efus participates in the EUROsociAL programme as “executive partner” of the citizen security network. During the current phase of in-depth study, its mission is to define specific areas of work, and to identify the demand of each country in order to be able to launch concrete action programmes in September 2012. During these on-site missions, Efus and an expert meet all the actors who are involved in or affected by the implementation of prevention and fight against violence policies.