1. General Information :
Matosinhos is a Portuguese city located in the District of Porto. The municipality currently occupies an area of 62,30 km² and has a total population of 175 478 inhabitants, split up into 10 “freguesias”. It borders the municipalities of Vila do Conde on the north, of Maia on the northeast, of Porto on the south, and the Atlantic coast on the west.
The Port of Leixões, on the coast, is the biggest artificial port of Portugal and the main maritime port of the Porto Metropolitan Area.
Population: 175 478 inhabitants
In January 2014 the City council decided to launch ‘Citizens councils‘
Twinned with: Vilagarcía de Arousa (Spain), Congonhas (Brasil), Mérignac (France), Angolares (São Tomé), Mansoa (Guinée-Bissau), São Filipe (Cabo Verde) and Nacala (Mozambique)
2. The City in our Network :
The City and Efus
Member of Efus since 2002 and of the Executive Committee since 2003
President of the European Forum for Urban Safety since May 2010
- Partner of the Democracy, Cities and Drugs Project, 2005-2007, 2008-2011
- Co-pilot on the workshop on Drugs in the International Conference Security, Democracy and Cities, Saragossa, Spain, 2006
- Contribution to the Cities against Terrorism project, Lisbon Seminar, Portugal, 2006
- Partner in the Cultures of Prevention project, 2004-2006
- Organizer of an International Conference on Drug addictions, Matosinhos, 23 November 2007
- General Assembly, Karlsruhe, Germany, May 12-13 2014
- General Assembly, Cascais, Portugal, 27 June 2013
- Efus International conference ‘Security, democracy and cities: the Future of prevention’, 12-14 December 2012
- General Assembly, Brussels, Belgium, 7 June 2012
- General Assembly, Genoa, Italy, 19 May 2011
- General Assembly, Berlin, Germany, 11 May 2010
- General Assembly, Barcelona, Spain, 18 July 2008
- General Assembly, Rome, Italy, 6 June 2007
- General Assembly, Rome, Italy, 23 November 2003
- Active participation in Efus Executive Committees
The City and the National Forum (FOPPSU)
Founding member, 2005.
- Responsible of the Portuguese national platform on integrated responses to drug issues (DCD II Project, 2008-2011)
- General Assembly, Lisbon, January 2013
- General Assembly, São João da Madeira, Portugal, June 2010
- General Assembly, Loures, Portugal, 1st September 2005.
3. Project Files (Best practice forms) :
4. Further Information :