The European Certificate in Urban Security is the first truly European university diploma in urban security.
Thanks to the partnership between the University of Toulouse 1 Capitole and Efus, the second European Certificate in Urban Security will be offered in 2016, following the first promotion of the diploma in 2014. Registration for the academic year 2016 is still open. Don’t miss this opportunity!
It is taught by professors from prestigious universities across Europe such as the University of Toulouse 1 Capitole (France), the University of Liege (Belgium), the University of Maribor (Slovenia), the University of Bologna (Italy) and the University of Ostfalia (Germany). The curriculum focuses on the key aspects of security in order to give students in-depth understanding of urban safety and the skills that are in demand in the job market. There is a compulsory internship at the end of the European Certificate in Urban Security so that students can put into practice the theoretical knowledge they have acquired.
The degree is aimed both at students and professionals already working in the field and offered as a full, e-learning distance programme.
- To provide students and professionals with a high level of expertise in urban security through a well-resourced and coherent e-learning programme. This interdisciplinary curriculum combines Criminology, Political Science, Law, Geography and Sociology.
- To train future professionals able to grasp the challenges of crime prevention at the local level and to take into account the European dimension of security.
Unique features of the course
- Interdisciplinary education and unique academic offer.
- The training programme is delivered by the University of Toulouse 1 Capitole in partnership with the European Forum for Urban Security (Efus). The University of Toulouse 1 Capitole is a recognised establishment in the areas of social sciences, law, and economic sciences. It has a specialised research centre established 30 years ago, which offers publications, colloquiums, seminars and training on issues related to police and security. Efus is a network of European local and regional authorities that has been working for over 25 years on the development of crime prevention policies and the promotion of the role of local elected officials in national and European policies.
- The certificate takes into account the needs of the job market. Created by security experts and prevention professionals with the financial support of the European Commission (EEMUS-ECUS project), the diploma is comprehensive, with a strong focus on practice.
- Teaching is provided by professors from prestigious universities specialised in different academic fields, who bring together their experience and expertise to create a quality training programme (Criminology/Sociology, Criminology/Law, Police Studies, Urban Planning/Sociology, Security and Technologies).
- A truly European dimension: each module of the programme includes a European comparative perspective in order to provide students with a comprehensive overview of ideas and approaches.
- A complete e-learning programme: courses are available remotely through an online interactive teaching platform offering all the resources of a virtual campus.
- With its offers of internships in numerous European cities, the certificate gives students the opportunity to gain work experience abroad.
Who is the degree for?
- All professionals working in the urban security sector who wish to increase their knowledge and to supplement their work on the ground with an in-depth understanding of key urban security issues. The degree also gives an opportunity for professional mobility, both through the applicability of knowledge on a European scale and internship opportunities throughout Europe.
- Students with a Bachelor’s degree who have an initial understanding of urban security issues and who wish to bring a European dimension to their knowledge. The internships are supported by the University partners and Efus. Together with exchanges with students in further education, they are part of the learning programme. ECUS graduates also benefit from the support of Efus and its network of 250 European local authorities when looking for a job.
The European Certificate in Urban Security is a 60-credit programme (ECTS).
|8 training modules||8 x 4 ECTS = 32 ECTS||8 x 96 hours|
|Internship||15 ECTS||3 months|
Schedule of the training programme
The academic year starts at the end of November 2016.
Internships take place between June and August. Of a duration of 3 months for students in initial training, the internships can be adapted for professionals coursing the diploma in continuous education, depending on their profile and experience.
Each module is continuously assessed. The final exams are in November 2017.
The language of the programme is English. University professors teach their modules in their native language (French, Italian, Slovenian), but all courses are also available in English.
Registration fee: €50
Tuition fee: €2,000
Registration until 20 November 2016.
Please send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com
The opening is to be determined depending on the number of people registered.
Pilar De La Torre